Thursday 7 November 2013

Feeling Christmassy

Whether we like it or not, Christmas is on it's merry way and the mad present buying rush is rearing it's ugly head.
Working in retail, I can see how November is that 'inbetween' stage in which the shops are getting that little bit busier, the weather is getting that little bit colder and the shop displays are getting that little bit merrier. I myself LOVE Christmas and always have done. For me it's a beautiful (if not mad) time in which the whole family group together to spend one special day with each other before welcoming in the new year. I find it sad when people say they hate Christmas because although everybody has their reasons, I find it a wonderful, magical time and look forward to it all year (that's right, I'm sad).
It's no surprise that I adore Christmas decorations and would love to decorate my room like many shop displays (If only I could afford it *sigh*), however there is a fine line between creating a winter wonderland and creating a crowded room full of tacky, OTT decorations.


My family and I recently went to a little pine furniture warehouse not far from where I live just for a look and I got well and truly lost in their Christmas department. 
I was overwhelmed at the simplicity of the majority of the decorations and got some ideas for the decorations for my bedroom this year.
Last year I stuck to a natural theme and grabbed some sticks and pine cones from the woods. I then painted them white and covered them in glitter, scattering them in places around my room. I also made my own giant paper snowflakes and hung them from invisible string from my ceiling. It proves that simple, natural ideas made by yourself can be very effective. Sadly, although cheap, these decorations aren't easy to re-use the next year, but at least they're all made from recyclable material!



I love the twinkly lights and see Christmas as a great opportunity to get out all the fairy lights and 
Yankee Candles (I must say I spent a long time sniffing their wide range of Christmas Yankees despite neglecting to buy one!). My idea of a winter wonderland is plenty of white, silver and gold with twinkly lights, floaty bits and little things hanging from every angle. I loved the little gold crown candle holders in the bottom right hand corner of this picture!
It's safe to say I'll be taking lots of inspiration from these decorations and despite being over a month away from the big day itself, will begin mentally planning some special decorations!












1 comment:

  1. I feel the exact same way, I LOVE Christmas. Just the happy rush makes me smile and the fact that everyone's in a caring mood. Definitely my most favorite time of the year :)

    x Alicia
    cleverspices.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete